There’s plenty to love when it comes to the Fourth of July, from the lights, loud bangs, the melodic rhythm of the displays, and laser shows. While we might like watching a good firework display, your four-legged pal might not.
According to Pet Amber Alert, there was a 30% increase in runaway pets during the Fourth of July holiday— which also happens to be one of the busiest days of the year for shelters.
To help keep your fur baby calm during an exciting time for evening skies, here are five tips from Pet Amber Alert to keep your pet safe:
1. Stay inside: Try to keep your pet indoors at all times during holiday celebrations. Ideally, someone stays home with your pet. If you must go out, be sure to keep your dog leashed.
2. Make them feel safe: Comfort your pets with pets as needed and stay nearby if possible. Make sure they can access their crate or “safe place.” If necessary, ask your veterinarian or local pet retailer about natural calming products, anxiety wraps, and other products.
3. Avoid the noise. Keep your windows closed and your TV on to help mask the noise outside.
4. Act normal! Your pet takes cues from you and your family. Go about your normal routine as much as possible.
5. Protect your pet before the fireworks begin. There are a number of lost-pet devices and services available today. Among the various pet-finder services available, the Pet Amber Alert ID Tag/Pet GPS combines Amber Alert technology with a QR Code and GPS to help MORE lost dogs, cats, and even birds return home safely.
If your pet does run away, check with your local shelter, for more information click here.