The scent of peppermint and cocoa fills the air, sidewalks glitter with decorations, and seasonal cheer thrums through us all, young or old — yes, Christmas is almost here! The most wonderful time of the year is upon us again, and you might be searching for just a little bit more magic to brighten up your day. Or night, in this case.
If you want to find the best place to see the lights in Denver without having to spend hours researching, then read on for our list of the 6 biggest holiday light events!
1. Blossoms of Light
A long-standing event hosted by the Denver Botanic Gardens, Blossoms of Light has three decades of experience behind its twinkling winter wonderland. However, don’t let this event’s age fool you — every year, the experience is upgraded. This year’s new feature is a breath-taking 200-foot-long, 17-foot-tall tunnel filled with animated lights, right at the start of the O’Fallon Perennial Walk.
- When can you visit? Nov. 19 – Jan. 8, 2022 (closed on Nov. 25 and Dec. 25), 4:30pm-9:00pm
- How much does it cost? Tickets are $18-$21, available here
2. Luminova Holidays
On the other end of the spectrum is an event that makes its debut this year, Luminova Holidays hosted by Elitch Gardens. The display boasts over 3,000,000 lights in 200,000 square feet of space, jam-packed with various interactive activities, rides on limited Elitch Gardens attractions, and gigantic snowmen, ornaments, and presents to take photos with.
- When can you visit? Nov. 26 – Jan. 2, 2022, 5:00pm-10:00pm (reservations required for 5:00pm-7:00pm)
- How much does it cost? Tickets are $30-$35, available here
3. Christmas in Color
Christmas in Color is a drive-through light show featuring millions of lights. You can drive by giant snowmen, candy canes, arches, and more, with festive holiday music synced to your car’s radio, for an unforgettable Christmas experience even in a socially-distanced era.
- When can you visit? Until Jan. 2, 2022 (closed Nov. 25), 5:30pm-10:00pm
- How much does it cost? Tickets are $35 per vehicle, available here
4. Zoo Lights
2,000,000 lights sparkle cheerfully over 80 acres at the Denver Zoo in Zoo Lights. What makes this event special is that it’s not just limited to the lights — some of the critters like the fishing cats and Asian small-clawed otters in the El Pomar Village Hall come out to play at night!
- When can you visit? Nov. 22 – Jan. 8, 2022, 5:00pm-10:00pm (Fri-Sat), 5:00pm-9:00pm (Sun-Thurs)
- How much does it cost? Tickets are $10-$25, available here
5. Mile High Tree
The Mile High Tree is a huge, 110-foot-tall illuminated, immersive art installation that’s the largest of its kind in North America. Visitors can enjoy dazzling light displays synced to fun holiday music, and even step inside the tree itself for unique photo ops.
- When can you visit? Nov. 19 – Jan. 1, 2022, 5:00pm-10:00pm
- How much does it cost? Free!
6. Trail of Lights
Hosted by the Denver Botanical Gardens but based in Littleton, Colorado, Trail of Lights is a bit of a drive away from downtown Denver, but it’s perfect for those seeking a more peaceful holiday experience. A mile-long walking trail in the countryside takes you on a journey along illuminated displays of cottonwoods, boxelders, and pine trees. Conveniently, a shorter path is also available for those that prefer it.
- When can you visit? Nov. 26 – Dec. 12 (Fri-Sun), Dec. 17 – Jan. 2, 2022 (Nightly, closed on Christmas)
- How much does it cost? Tickets are $10-$15, available here
The lights in Denver are indeed a spectacular array of colors, sounds, and sights, and with this handy list of the 6 biggest light events in the area, you can surely find the right event for your schedule and budget. We hope you enjoy the lights!